By Sonny Zarecki, DES
Used with Permission Fort Greely Interceptor
With winter time approaching everyone should keep in mind that burglars do not just operate in the summer. Below are just a few tips to help keep you safe during the winter months.
• Ensure that your windows and doors are locked.
• If you are expecting a parcel make sure someone is there when it is delivered or ask a neighbor to take it in– don’t leave it on the door step.
• Don’t leave your keys in the door at any time.
• Don’t open your door to unexpected callers – check their identity first using a door viewer or a door chain.
• Always keep keys in a safe place away from windows and doors
Remember: If you can get into your house without keys so can burglars.
Some tips for the outside of your home:
• Keep all sheds and garages locked at all times.
• Security alarms are inexpensive and can deter undesirables.
• Fit a security light in the garden / front of the house.
• Lock your garden gate.
• Don’t leave keys under a stone or flower pot.
• Keep all bicycles and tools locked away out of sight.
So while the winter months are with us, use you some of these safety tips to help keep you safe and crime free.