DELTA HEALTH FAIR ~ October 11, 8:00am to noon
Alaska Health Fair, Inc. is a non-profit organization that started in 1980 as part of the National Health Screening Council; a movement led by Dr. John F. Brensike, to increase health awareness and provide screenings, education, and high-quality, low-cost blood screening tests for early detection of disease and other health issues. AHF blood test fees are approximately 20% of what a physician charges, but are restricted to ages 18 and over. Blood test results are mailed directly to participants approximately two weeks after the fair and an AHF nurse will personally follow up with the participant if a blood test is critically out of range.
The Delta Junction Community Health Fair will be held at the Delta Elementary School gymnasium on Saturday, October 11, 8:00am to noon. AHF does not accept health insurance for payment, but will accept cash, check, or Visa/MasterCard.
The following blood tests and health screenings will be available:
• Comprehensive Blood Test (CBC, CMP, Lipids) Chemistry/Hematology ($45) is a panel of 27 different tests that screen for diabetes, kidney and liver functions, nutrition, cholesterol, anemia, and more. Fasting is required, so participants should not eat or drink anything except water and prescription medication for 10-12 hours before testing. Diabetics should not fast.
• Thyroid Stimulating Hormone ($30) – Thyroid gland test
• Prostate Specific Antigen ($25) – Prostate Disease Test
• Vitamin D ($50) – Deficiencies, malabsorption, bone metabolism, or parathyroid functions
• A1c ($25) – Three-month average of glucose
• Blood typing ($20) – Determines blood type and Rh type (Rh+ or Rh-)
• Colorectal Home Screening Kit ($5) – First line of defense in fight against colorectal cancer
• Free screenings – Height/Weight/BMI, Hearing, Vision, etc. courtesy of Alaska Health Fair, Inc.
The North Pole Pharmacy will offer immunizations. They accept Medicare cards as payment, but must be presented before immunizations are administered. Otherwise, they accept cash, check, or Visa/MasterCard.
• Flu Shots ($30)
• High-dose Flu Shots ($57 or Medicare A+B card) – restricted to Medicare recipients
• Pneumovax ($100 or Medicare A+B card)
Thanks to our local sponsors and financial supporters: Delta Building Supply, CampWater Industries, IGA Food Cache, Heritage General Contracting, Delta Powersports, Whitestone Farms, and Delta Lions.
If you are unable to attend the Delta Health Fair on October 11th, please note other health fairs in our area:
• Fairbanks Senior Center Community Health Fair
Friday, October 3, 2014, 7am-11am
NSCoA Senior Center, 1424 Moore St, Fairbanks
• North Pole Community Health Fair
Saturday, October 18, 2014, 8am-Noon
North Pole Plaza Mall, 301 N Santa Claus Lane, North Pole
• Credit Union 1 Community Health Fair
Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 7:30-10:30am
1453 University Ave South, Fairbanks
For additional information contact Tanana Valley Program Director Sharon Phillips (907-374-6853), visit the Alaska Health Fair, Inc. website (www.alaskahealthfair.org), or call Delta Health Fair Site Coordinators Pat White (907-687-1422) and Rena Case (907-388-2686). Know your numbers, visit with exhibitors, chat with a nurse, and take charge of your health.