BBB Partners with STOP.THINK.CONNECT.™ to Increase Online Safety and Awareness
Anchorage, Alaska – October 1, 2014 – October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month. As part of a global cyber security awareness campaign, Better Business Bureau serving Alaska, Oregon is partnering with STOP.THINK.CONNECT.™ to help digital citizens stay safe online.
In today’s highly connected and networking environment, it is important to address cybercrime and growing online security problems. According to STOP.THINK.CONNECT.™, 96 percent of Americans feel a personal responsibility to be safer and more secure online.
“At BBB we’re focused on educating both consumers and businesses about how to protect themselves against online fraud,” said Tyler Andrew, CEO of BBB serving Alaska Oregon and Western Washington. “By partnering with consumer advocacy groups and STOP.THINK.CONNECT.™, we are dedicated to helping all digital citizens stay safer and more secure online.”
As part of BBB’s commitment to cyber security awareness, both organizations encourage online users to take extra security measures this month by completing a few simple steps.
– Keep a clean machine. Whether it is a PC, mobile device or laptop, make sure security software is current and up-to-date. Having the latest software on all devices can be one of the best defenses against viruses, malware and other online threats.
– Protect personal information. Secure accounts by making passwords long, strong and unique.
– Connect with care. Avoid opening unsolicited emails or links. Use caution when logging on to public Wi-Fi hotspots and send personal information only to websites that are fully encrypted.
– Stay current. Keep pace with new ways to stay safe online. Check trusted websites for the latest information, and share with friends, family and colleagues to encourage them to be web wise. Visit staysafeonline.org for more ways to spot online problems and keep devices clean and safe.
– Share with care. A good online citizen only posts about others what he would want posted about himself.
During October, BBB will be promoting National Cyber Security Awareness Month. Visit BBB’s Facebook page for more details.
Michelle Tabler, Alaska Regional Manager: 907-644-5208 | firstname.lastname@example.org
David Quinlan, Senior Director of Public Relations: 206-676-4119