Level I Certification: A 3-day/24-hr introduction to avalanche hazard management and decision making in avalanche terrain! Ages 13 and up. Under 16 must be accompanied by a parent. Limited to 14 participants.
Total costs includes 3 dinners & 3 breakfasts, shared lodging on lower level is: $575.00 Call 907-444-8590 to reserve a space. First come first serve.
· Provide a basic understanding of avalanche types, terrain considerations, snowpack, & mountain weather
· Describe a framework for decision-making and risk management in avy terrain
· Demonstrate and practice proper terrain management, field snowpack tests, and companion rescue techniques Course Benefits:
· Recognize avalanche terrain
· Recognize weather, snow, and terrain factors contributing to slope instability
· Make competent decisions regarding winter backcountry travel
· Apply safe snow travel techniques
· Apply effective avalanche rescue
· Be a strong beginner to very competent skier or snowboarder
· Some previous experience in the backcountry
· Backcountry skis or splitboard w/ skins, avalanche beacon, probe, & shovel (Demo gear available if needed)
More information can be seen on The Lodge at Black Rapids Website